The History of the Casale Olmia Estate
A Family's Story
Hotel Casale Olmia
Moncale / U Mucale
Olmia (the elm)
Old map of Corsica. Source : gallica.bnf.fr / National Library of France
A name that resonates in the hearts of every Calenzanais and Moncalais deeply connected to their heritage. To understand the symbolism representing justice, majesty, and prosperity, one must trace back to Roman times, who revered this sacred tree. After the Roman era, the Phoenicians, Greeks, and Etruscans occupied Balagne and the Gulf of Calvi, but they didn't leave as much of an impact as the Romans who settled for several centuries and Romanized the entire region. The Romans built a city named "Olmia", and on the site of this ancient city, the church of Sainte Restitude was constructed in the 11th century. Around 1330, the city of Olmia lent its name to the Pieve of Olmia, where several inhabited places joined together to form the villages of Calenzana and Moncale, which became the main settlement.
The pieve of Olmia was the old name for the geographical area where the Casale Olmia estate is located.